Saturday, September 15, 2012

Carpe Diem

A month or so ago I was talking to a patient who had previously been in severe car accident that almost took her life. It was a miracle she had survived. As I was asking her how her appetite was, we somehow got on the subject of how precious life is and how it should be enjoyed. She told me of her younger years when she would spontaneously take road trips with her girlfriends and go out dancing and other fun things like that. She encouraged me to take advantage of my youth--if I happened to find myself with a little extra money, "don't save it, go spend it on something fun!" she said, "like some new underwear!" :) 

I was inspired by the conversation, although not so much in the "I'm going to buy myself a new pair of underwear" type of way. I left feeling like I wanted to go do something spontaneous or fun or just let go of some of my many stresses or worries. Like I said, this was a bit ago, and I can't remember exactly what I did that day, but it has stuck with me. 

So, in the spirit of this conversation, I have decided to do something a little spontaneous, perhaps even a little irresponsible, and certainly out of my character. Are you ready for it? I decided to take a trip to Hawaii. Yep, I did. And I feel so good about it. Through a series of fortunate events I found myself able to take an extended vacation to visit some of my favorite people, Tiffany and Jared Feller. I booked the flight today and come November 7th I'll be on my way! I feel like one lucky little duck. :)


3 comments:

Angela said...

I'm so glad you decided to do it. You will love it!

Melissa said...

I still am so excited for you. Someday, I'll hopefully check Hawaii off my bucket list too. :)

Tiffany said...

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!