When I moved to Fayetteville I knew there would be a lot of time to be alone, seeing as I really didn't know anyone. I first had a roommate, but now I have moved into my very own apartment all by myself. And you know what? I'm not afraid anymore of being alone. It's so wonderful, so freeing. I'm realizing that being alone does not necessarily mean that I am not loved or not cool or that I don't have any friends or that I have to be lonely. It means rather that I have time to think, to breathe, and find some much needed peace. Some time ago I came across this video. It's an oddly profound tutorial-poem on How To Be Alone.
Here are some of my favorite lines:
You're no less intriguing a person when you're eating solo dessert to cleaning the whipped cream from the dish with your finger. In fact some people at full tables will wish they were where you were.
Society is afraid of alonedom, like lonely hearts are wasting away in basements, like people must have problems if, after a while, nobody is dating them. but lonely is a freedom that breaths easy and weightless and lonely is healing if you make it.
It's okay if no one believes like you. All experience is unique, no one has the same synapses, can't think like you, for this be relieved, keeps things interesting lifes magic things in reach.
........

3 comments:
Loved this. Oh so profound! I've found that some of my most favorite times are when I'm driving in the car somewhere by myself...it forces me to think and focus on important things. I love that alone time! You are so cool, Krissy. I'm so glad you're closer to us!
So well said. Although I still think you are able to do alone better than I am. I think my max is about an hour. After that, I start calling people....
So true. I miss you.
Post a Comment