Monday, September 19, 2011

Eating Frogs

When I worked at Cafe Zupas my managers made us read a number of self-help books-one of which was called Eat That Frog.  You're probably smart enough to know without me saying that the book was not about eating literal frogs, but rather figurative frogs.  Mark Twain once said that if the first thing you do each day is eat a frog you can then go on with your day with the satisfaction that that is probably the worst thing you would have to do that day.  The book takes this idea and applies it to getting things done each day.  In a nutshell is says that if you take care of your most dreadful task first thing in the day, you will end up being much happier and more productive, which leads to making more money and making more friends, and before you know it you will have taken over the world.  It's true.

All in all it has a good point and I am proud to say that I have been able to apply it in my life.  For the past couple years I have been fighting adulthood.  For me this is manifested by me moving back in with my parents, refusing to take care of important things like renewing my car registration until I get pulled over (twice), not picking up my clothes or cleaning up my messes (sorry mom), and not making important phone calls because people sometimes scare me (that's not really true, but I sometimes forget that I've actually overcome that).  You get the picture.  I blame it on my birth order.

So, as I rapidly approach professional life (if all goes well on the 28th I will be an official professional), I am deciding to discard my childish ways.  I started today by making important phone calls-3 of them actually-to my former preceptors to ask for letters of recommendation for a job to which I'm applying.  I was anxious all night and slept horribly.  It's not like these are scary people.  In fact, they are all really nice.  Well, long story short-I did it!  I called them.  And they all agreed to write the letters.  It felt really good.  So, the moral of this story is that although frogs are really disgusting and may make you sick to your stomach or lose sleep because they are so dreadful, it feels really good just to eat them and be done with it. So to all of you procrastinators out there, eat that frog!!!!

No comments: