Sunday, September 5, 2010

Grown-up Kid

I was talking to my 4-year-old nephew, Charlie, the other day.  "Krissy," he said, "are you a mom?" "No, Charlie, I'm not a mom."  "Are you a kid?" he asked.  "No, I'm not a kid either."  "Oh, then you're a grown-up kid, right?"  "Uh, I guess so."



Later I asked Charlie if there was a difference between moms and adults, and there isn't.  So, in Charlie's mind I won't be an adult until I have children.  I'm fine with that.  In fact, after thinking about it, I feeling like a grown-up kid is the perfect description for me, and not just because I just moved home at the age of 25.

I am an adult in so many ways:  I do my own laundry, make decisions, cook, do my own taxes, make appointments, pay attention to politics, don't pass notes in church anymore, can carry on conversations with almost anyone.



I am also a kid in so many ways:  I like to play with my food, I like cartoons, I like playing outside, I like it when people do things for me (my laundry, my taxes, making my appointments, etc), I like dressing up and pretending my life is something that it isn't.

Even though in Charlie's eyes once I get married and have children I will officially be an adult, I will probably, at least I hope, always be a kid in grown-up form.  

2 comments:

Emily said...

So am I still a grown up kid too? I feel like one. Especially since I feel like I am playing house all the time now. :)

Krissy said...

Kind of. You are somewhere between a grown-up kind and an adult. I will call you an almost-adult. :)