Tuesday, November 10, 2009

And then there was light!


The light/ceiling fan above our kitchen table has been broken ever since we moved in. But not anymore! One night last week we were feeling ambitious and decided to install a new one (this is just after finishing painting our apartment). Our land lady brought over a new one about a month ago and told us that someone would come by to install it. They never came and we were tired of it being dark. So we did it! All by ourselves. Not a single boy helped us.

It took a lot longer than we had anticipated and, as you can see in the picture, it took quite a few of us to do it-there were a lot of screws and it's hard to work with your hands when all the blood has settled in your shoulders. Well, after a couple of hours of us reading the directions which kept warning us about getting electrocuted we turned on the breaker. Luckily I waited until after Melissa wasn't touching it anymore because when I flipped the switch there was a minor explosion. At that point I understood why there were so many warnings. :) My roommates thought it was hilarious and I tried to laugh, but deep down inside I was devastated. So much time and we ruined our ceiling.

I was so devasted that I couldn't sleep. While I was going in and out of consciousness I realized we had forgotten to pull the switches on the fan and it turns out that we didn't ruin anything! The light and fan both worked and we haven't any explosions since.

The moral of this story: Don't let the fear of being electrocuted stop you from doing anything.

No comments: