I've just moved to a new ward. Any of you who are familiar with BYU know that it is somewhat custom to change wards at least once in a 12-month period. This is my third ward this year and seventh here at BYU.
I want to first say that I really enjoy people and making friends. However, to get to the point where I can be myself with someone and feel like there is some substance to the relationship requires time. I really struggle with introductory conversations, which usually go something like this...potential new friend (pnf):"Hi, what's your name?" me: "Hi, I'm Krissy" pnf: "Kristy?" (The latest misunderstanding of my name is "Kissy") me: "No, Krissy...no "t" pnf: "Ah. What's your major?" me: "Dietetics" pnf: "Diuh...what?" me: "diatetics...it's like nutrition" "Oh, cool. Where are you from?".....and then it goes on. I think I've had this conversation at least 2o times today and heard everyone else around me having it too.
I suppose I see some necessity in getting to know the basic information about people, but it is such a tedious process for me sometimes. I long to be able to get to the point in a relationship with someone so that I can share all of my insides and they can do the same with me. I LOVE that. I hate holding it all in. I don't feel real when I do that.
In conclusion, I'm wondering how to make these intro-converstations more meaningful. Do I just need to change my attitude? Do I need to ask better questions? Any ideas (to the two of you that read my blog)?
4 comments:
How about getting it out of the way right away, My name is Krissy without a "t", I have an undergrad in Dietetics, it's like nutrition, only more...etc. OR, you can write up a short bio and hand it out:) OR you can come up with questions for others that you would like to be asked other than the obvious, OR you ask to speak in your new ward and tell everyone about yourself hence hopefully avoiding having to repeat it over and over:)
There was a new girl in our ward once that bore her testimony in testimony meeting (which I think was also her first Sunday in the ward) and she invited anyone to come over to her place and play Twister. She gave a talk a few weeks later and extended the same invitation for Twister. She became known as the Twister Girl. She was really cool.
I know that doesn't really work for most people, but the point is, do what's comfortable for you. Maybe if you get sick of answering the same questions, be really inquisitive with the questions you ask others so then people will feel really good because someone is taking such an interest in them.
I guess all I have to say is, why do you need other friends when you have me?...
Hmmmm, I know! How about social cards. They serve the same purpose as a business card. It has your name (spelled out phonetically, just kidding), where you are from, where you served you mission, your major, and your email address and anything else that is important.
I proudly tell people that my daughter is majoring in Dietetics which is the practical application of the science of Nutrition in the real world or Dietetics takes proven Nutritional theories and puts them to work.
Post a Comment